Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Canning at the Chelsea Fair




I have never entered anything in a canning contest at a fair, but I decided this year I would give it a try at the Chelsea Fair.    It is held each August in the next town over, Chelsea.  Here's how I did:

First place
Corn Relish (I was the only entrant!)

Second Place
Salsa #5 - very proud of this as there were 9 entries
Bruschetta in a Jar 
Pickled Cauliflower   from Linda Ziedrich's Joy of Pickling, one of my favorite canning books
Mustard Beans
Stewed Rhubarb

Third Place
Rhubarb Jam - this recipe without the Earl Grey tea

Fourth Place
Pickled Asparagus  from the University of Georgia's Center for Home Food Preservation.   One day I will visit that place in person!  I often find myself in Athens, GA for work.

I was surprised that pickled asparagus came in 4th, I thought it looked the best.   This type of canning contest is really a beauty contest, they don't taste the entrants.    When we used to have the Classic Michigan State Fair (RIP), they tasted them.    Probably a better way to do it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what do you mean they don't taste them... how do the judge them?

Poppy said...

Congrats!
I, too, miss the Michigan State Fair very much.
I used to enter the baking contests, and proudly display my ribbons--some blue, some red! :)
It's hard to believe they shut it down. I think we're the only state without a fair. (There is a revived sort of State Fair in Novi but it's a sad shadow of what it was. Most of it is indoors, even the animals!)
Sigh.
I enjoy your food blog very much.