Saturday, July 18, 2015

Cherry Tomato Pasta Salad



It's the start of be cherry tomato season!!   I've searched far and wide for a pasta salad recipe I really liked, and I think I've found one.  It's based on Jamie Oliver's Best Pasta Salad recipe, but I tweaked it to make it better.   I love orzo in a pasta salad because it makes it so much easier to eat.

Best Pasta Salad

8 ounces (half a 1 lb box) orzo
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes, chopped fine
1 pint red cherry tomatoes, chopped fine
1 small can sliced black olives olives, chopped fine
2 T. fresh chives chopped fine
1/4 c fresh basil leaves, chopped fine
2 Persian cucumbers, diced small
3 garlic cloves, minced1/4 c white wine vinegar
3 T extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper

Prepare pasta per package directions.  To dice the vegetables small, my favorite cooking tool is a food chopper.



It makes a fine dice of all these vegetables....cut the tomatoes in half first. Mix the pasta, herbs and vegetables together.To make the dressing, shake the garlic, vinegar and olive oil in a jar.  Pour over the salad and mix well.   Very refreshing and the ratio of veggies to pasta is higher than the typical pasta salad.   We ate this on a camping trip with shrimp cocktail.  We prepped it before we left and brought it in a cooler. I love to not have to worry about dinner the first night of camp!

Happy summer!

No comments: