Monday, June 14, 2010

Michigan Beef Sirloin Salad with Dried Cherries

In 1995, I won the Michigan Beef Cookoff with this recipe I developed.....I went on to compete in the National Beef Cookoff, but I didn't win that.   Contesting is really fun; it takes a lot of time, though, and time is in short demand for me right now.  This recipe is great for summer and features a key Michigan product, dried sour cherries. 




Beef Sirloin Salad with Dried Cherries

Marinade time: 30 minutes
Total recipe time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1 boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick (approx. 1-1/4 pounds)
4 small or 2 medium heads Boston lettuce, torn (approx. 8 cups)
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

Dressing:

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper


In medium bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Remove and reserve 1/2 cup; cover and refrigerate.

Trim fat from beef steak. Cut steak lengthwise in half and then crosswise into 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick strips. Add beef to remaining dressing; toss to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes

Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add beef (1/2 at a time) and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove from skillet with slotted spoon.

In large bowl, combine lettuce and reserved dressing; toss to coat. Arrange beef over lettuce; sprinkle with cheese, cherries and nuts. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should link this up to my Cookin' Across America contest! Looks so yummy.

http://thelocalcook.com/2010/06/14/cookin-across-america-cooking-contest/

Tricia said...

Not only did you win, but I've seen salads like this in many restaurants. Next time I have one (perhaps at Grizzly Peak), I will mentally give credit to you. :^)

I got a recipe or two published in an anniversary cookbook published by the people who produce Old Bay Seasoning. Maybe it was the 50th anniversary in 1989? Anyway, it was a proud moment indeed, and I still have my copy of their cookbook / pamphlet ... somewhere...